Monday, December 8, 2008

celebrity status

Do you ever wish you were a celebrity? I do. Not for the posh lifestyle or adoring fans, but instead for the dubious power that a celebrity has when speaking up for a cause. Oprah can get just about anyone to try or buy just about anything, right? If Al Gore says to drive a hybrid, then maybe that's what we should be doing, right? And who can forget Sarah Palin's glasses? Like it or not, celebrities' preferences/habits/tastes have a strong influence on societal norms.

So where am I going with this?


Something I saw from PETA recently got me thinking about it. Not that I've never considered it before, but it got me thinking about it more deeply. I'm glad to see that celebs are stepping up more and more to use their name value and star power on behalf of animal welfare. Take a look at the latest ad from longtime vegetarian Paul McCartney:


In the ad, he says, "Many years ago, I was fishing, and as I was reeling in the poor fish, I realized I am killing him --- all for the passing pleasure it brings me. And something inside me clicked. I realized as I watched him fight for breath, that his life was as important to him as mine is to me. I am Paul McCartney and I am a vegetarian".

I had lots of similar "aha" moments when I chose to become a vegetarian many years ago. See which of your fave stars are vegetarians -- I think you'll be surprised by who's on the list!

And for what it's worth...I am Susan Lepore and I am a vegetarian.

No comments: