Thursday, July 16, 2009

... round 4 ...

Gosh, I guess I've been MIA all week ?!?!?

Today I took Buddy for his 4th round of chemo. He's doing pretty well on it, considering. Just some expected side effects. He has a finicky appetite ... sometimes only eating crunchy kibbles, sometimes only soft/moist canned food. And at times, he needs to be hand-fed. He lost a small patch of fur on one of his hind legs. And last week I noticed that he has lost most of his whiskers too. It makes me sad, but gosh it sure could be worse. He's in remission ... and that's what counts! {so thankful} With every "remission progress exam", I get more nervous. As many of you probably unfortunately know firsthand, cancer feels like a dark cloud that's always hovering, following you around.

I also recently discovered a "lump" near Buddy's face. My heart sank. The oncologist examined it today and, thankfully, she said that it's a common, benign cyst that doesn't concern her. Whew, that's a relief !!!

And Buddy and I have a new tradition ... on "chemo days", we stop at Sonic on the way home from the clinic. Since it's a drive-in, they deliver the food to the car, which is perfect since, of course, I can't leave Buddy alone to go inside and order. I bring along some treats for him, and we sit in the car and have a snack together. Quality time. Plus, junk food = coping mechanism. (footnote: drinks & slushes are 1/2 price from 2:00 til 4:00 pm at Sonic!)

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Momofboys said...

i'm glad he's doing well and that he's in remission...so sweet that you had your special time together at Sonic!

daysease said...

Wow, what an ordeal!! heartbreaking.. but so grateful he is in remission. and that you get a break. enjoy your days together!