Sunday, August 10, 2008

arch enemies: erosion & gravity

Hi everyone and hope you're enjoying the weekend.....


I had quite a "geologic scare" today! I'm in the midst of planning our trip to Utah in spring 2009. Our itinerary will definitely include Arches National Park, home of the famous and oft-photographed Delicate Arch (my guidebook cover is evidence). It is to Utah what Disney World is to Florida, I think. I've always wanted to see it, and as a geology lover who's finally going to Utah soon, I was stunned to hear that a famous arch recently FELL in the park!!! (article: Iconic Stone Arch Collapses in Utah Park)

Upon closer reading, and to my great relief, it was another iconic arch, Wall Arch, although that was one I would've loved to see also.

It seems that erosion and gravity took their collective toll on the arch.....here are the before-and-after views:

{BEFORE}


{AFTER}

There are about 2,000 arches in the park, so no doubt there'll still be plenty to enjoy when we go. Factoid: In order to be considered an arch, an opening must measure at least three feet (in any direction).

Time to get outside and do some yardwork before it rains!


No comments: