Monday, January 18, 2010

The Dream

"....I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character...." MLK, 1963

Today is a special and important holiday here in the United States. It's Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, celebrating the ideals of equality that he fought (and suffered) for.

I'm always so moved when I read or hear his famous I Have A Dream speech. Profound & powerful words! And the following year, it prompted the 1964 Civil Rights Act. You can read the full, exact text of the speech HERE.

And in 2011, the MLK National Memorial is slated to open. It'll be located between the Lincoln Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial. Part of the memorial will be a stone wall inscribed with excerpts of his sermons and public addresses. Go HERE to take a great 3.5-minute virtual tour of the MLK Memorial. I can't wait to visit it the next time I'm in DC!

No comments: