Friday, October 10, 2008

scrapbooking eye candy

I've been meaning to post pics of this scrapbooking project for weeks. I plan to post more scrapbooking projects as I finish them. (Celita - I love your idea of a girls' crafting day.....the next time Sal and I are in Italy, we'll plan on it, OK?!)

Anyway, this summer I was enrolled in a workshop with Tim Holtz, a celebrity among us scrappers! He was here in SoFla, teaching for a weekend at a scrapbook store. The class was called "Paradise Found", and instead of traditional scrapbook pages, we made a canvas.....we scrapbooked "off the page", if you will. It's so pretty, and as the name implies, it has a tropical, beachy theme. (The big empty space is where the photo goes, I just haven't added one yet.):

We made "sand" to create a border along the bottom. It's a mixture of glue, some colorant, and ultra-thick embossing medium. It came out so realistic, it has the color and texture of real sand! Here's a close-up of the "sand" detail:

And calling all scrappers! Do you know about Dew Drops? I discovered them at my local sb store the other day. They are tiny (1/4" diameter) acrylic pieces that come in a rainbow of
colors, and have one flat side for easy gluing. Most of the colors are transparent, but a few are opaque. (the "flame" variety is shown at right) They can be used as flower centers, water droplets (the blue ones really do look "wet"!), or anywhere that you'd use, say, rhinestones but don't want that much sparkle. So. Much. Fun.

And I've never been one to do any Halloween scrapping; after all, I don't have kids, so I would have no reason to make pages about costumes, trick-or-treating, etc. But when I saw this ghost-shaped mini-album, I just about flipped because cute ghosts are a favorite of mine! It's so stinkin' cute, I had to find a way to use it! So it got me thinking. Why not make an album about my own childhood Halloweens?.....my costumes, my trick-or-treating memories. Fun!

And check out this new collection by Creative Imaginations called Tidepools. Oh my gosh, the colors and artistry of this collection blew me away! A luscious combination of teals, blues and greens...unlike any color combo I have seen in tropical papers and embellishments before. As it is, I love anything tropical, but this collection has a color twist that I can't resist. And the coordinating album.....yummy! Here's a sample of the papers and goodies from the Tidepools collection (won't some Dew Drops be perfect with these?):





And just look at this 12" x 12" album!

No comments: